The ECOMS2 Action will coordinate and support Europe’s knowledge base to enable better management of climate-related risks and opportunities thereby creating greater social and economic value. ECOMS2 has 4 main objectives:
1. Develop a European framework for Earth-system modelling and climate service activities. The framework will be built around a managed network of European, national and international activities and organisations.
2. Coordinate and integrate European climate modelling, climate observations and climate service infrastructure initiatives (including JPI-Climate, Climate-KIC, Copernicus C3S) and facilitate dialogue among the relevant stakeholders, including climate science communities, funding bodies, providers and users. The user communities will include public sector, businesses, industry and society.
3. Establish multi-disciplinary expert groups to assess the state-of-the-art in Earth-system modelling and climate services in Europe; and identify existing gaps, new challenges and emerging needs.
4. Enhance communication and dissemination activities with stakeholders; operating a website; and undertaking additional stakeholder interactions to increase awareness and maximise project impacts.
Two key expected impacts of ECOMS2 are (i) to greatly enhance the transfer of information between suppliers and users to improve the resilience of European society to climate change and mitigation of the risk of dangerous climate change; and (ii) to improve coordination to increase efficiency, reduce fragmentation and create synergies with international R&I programmes.
As a key contribution to objective 4 mentioned above, GERICS will lead a work package with the objective to organise festivals to:
1. Enable exchange of knowledge among users, providers, intermediaries, funders through showcases of European climate services and Earth System modelling;
2. Provide results from mapping and forward looking analyses developed in other work packages to a larger audience; and
3. Strengthen science-policy and science-use interface.
Tel: + 49 (0) 40 226 338 408E-Mail Kontakt