Current job offers at GERICS
Scientific Coordinator (m/f/d)
GERICS invites applications for a Scientific Coordinator (m/f/d). The position is initially limited to 24 months.
The candidate will support the scientific and administrative activities of the Earth League. The Earth League is an international, interdisciplinary association of prominent scientists from leading research institutions. It aims at fostering science related to the Earth system and climate change, such as research in the fields of climate modelling, socioeconomics, biodiversity and resilience. The Earth League strives to strengthen development and innovation in order to promote the transformation of societies towards sustainability and adaptation to climate change.
Activities of the Earth League include, among others, scientific publications that highlight issues related to the global challenge of climate change and with a solution-oriented view. The Earth League also aims to launch a new round of its early-career programme which supports outstanding young scientists, giving them the opportunity to pursue research endeavours at the forefront of science.
As co-host of the Earth League secretariat, GERICS is looking for a Scientific Coordinator (m/f/d) who is eager to support the Earth League members in their scientific and administrative activities. The Scientific Coordinator (m/f/d) will work closely together with a colleague based at Arizona State University in the USA.
- support the Earth League members in identifying topics and realising Earth League
- scientific publications, within the Earth League and with partners
- support the publication process through coordinating, writing, and editorial work
- coordinate and facilitate the collaboration and communication between the Earth League members, the Earth League secretariat, and the Earth League Co-Chairs
- organise and manage regular meetings, including remote meeting formats and annual to bi-annual meeting conferences, with scientific symposia associated
- support the Earth League members in further developing the Earth League’s profile
- a relevant scientific background and a PhD, preferably in Earth System Science, Environmental Sciences, Geography, Socio-Economics, Sustainability, Communication or a similar field
- experience in writing and publishing scientific papers
- at least 3 years of experience in management of projects and in the coordination, of scientific work
- proficiency in English
- transdisciplinary experience is an asset
- the candidate should be highly motivated, proactive, self-reliant, assertive, and possess excellent time management
- team worker qualities with good interpersonal skills
- interest in transferring knowledge to decision makers
- experience in fundraising is an asset
Informal enquiries can be directed to
- multinational work environment with over 1000 colleagues from more than 50 nations
- extensive options of vocational training (i. a. expert seminars, language courses or leadership seminars)
- flexible working hours and various models to ensure the compatibility of family and career
- excellent infrastructure, including a scientific in-house library as well as modern work spaces
- an appropriate salary related to the German public tariff (TV-AVH) plus the usual social benefits for the public employment sector
The promotion of equal rights is a matter of course for us. Severely disabled persons and those equaling severely disabled persons who are equally suitable for the position will be considered preferentially within the framework of legal requirements.
We are looking forward to receiving your comprehensive application documents (including CV, a statement of interest and copies of master/diploma/university certificates) indicating job offer code no. 2020/CS 6
Closing date for applications is August 2nd, 2020.